Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Jackson Heights: The Musical

Ok, time to come clean. It's been a while since I've been in a show (can you say 8 years or so?). The academy first put the kabotch on it back in 2000 and I've never really found the time since then. Well, the stars are finally aligned (in terms of a light rehearsal schedule for me and a reasonable call schedule for Clay)- so it's on. Oh, it's so on. It's so on, it's already been brought-en.

Little did I know this show was going to get some press, though - from yesterday's Daily News. And the news is spreading. I should put a notice here - there is no slant to this show, as many of you (like I) would have guessed. It's not angsty or satiric or edgingly comedic. It's just a cute little revue highlighting the diversity and history of JH. I've had a fun time so far at rehearsal. It's a slice of life for sure. There's also been lots of eating - Clay, Caroline & I went to Sukkot dinner a couple of weeks back and on Saturday night they sent me home with a roast beef. Who can complain?

Best of all, I get to play a tree. I've always wanted to play a tree - ever since I was a Christmas card from Spain back in the First Grade. And now I have a Halloween costume, too. It's a really small chorus part, so there's no obligation to hop on the 7. However, if you're craving some good Indian food, it's an excuse to make the trip. Shows are next Thursday & Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon & Sunday evening. Roast beef goes to anyone who wants to babysit Caroline intermittently on Sunday while Clay does his 'at-home' call.

No comments: